I’m always looking for things to make a salad both interesting and satisfying because in my mind a salad really needs to be a meal in itself. This fig salad definitely does the trick. I love that it combines sweetness from the figs with a warm nuttiness from the toasted pine nuts – a super delicious combination and very satisfying.
The sprouted mixed beans are a favourite of mine. They are so good for you, real ‘live’ food full of fibre, b complex vitamins and protein. Sprouted beans not available everywhere though so if you can’t get hold of them just substitute with chickpeas. With nothing to cook, this salad makes a quick home lunch or it’s so simple you can also make it in the morning and enjoy it at work. You’ll feel quietly smug to be enjoying such a tasty lunch.
Fig salad with bean sprouts & toasted pine nuts
- Handful pine nuts
- 2 ripe figs, cut into quarters
- ½ bag of mixed salad leaves
- 2 large handfuls mixed beans sprouts
- ½ lemon, juice only
- Olive oil
- Start by dry toasting (no need to put any oil) the pine nuts in a frying pan on a medium heat for a couple of minutes or until they turn golden. Watch carefully as they can burn quickly.
- Then simply place the leaves in a bowl to create a bed of salad, scatter the bean sprouts and place the figs.
- Sprinkle with the toasted pine nuts and dress with the lemon juice and olive oil.
- Season with pepper to taste.