It feels good eating this soup – just a beautiful bowl of green. The peas are slightly sweet, and the roasted garlic adds a gorgeously rich, yet mellow flavour. It really is healthy comfort food.
And the best thing is that if you use frozen peas it’s super simple to make. I’ll often make a batch at the weekend with enough to freeze, and then have it again during the week. The coriander brings a beautiful freshness and fragrance – best you just stir it in before serving. I’ve even got my pea-hating kids to agree that this soup is ‘pretty good’ – quite a feat!
Pea and Roasted Garlic Soup (vegan)
- 1 kg | 30 ounces frozen peas
- 1 large onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- Handful of chopped coriander
Makes 4 bowls of soup
- Rub the garlic cloves with a little olive oil, wrap in aluminium foil to create one loose package, and bake in a the oven at 170C/ Gas mark 3 for 40 minutes or until soft.
- Chop the onions and fry them in a little olive oil on a low heat until they soften.
- Add the peas and stock, bringing everything to the boil and then simmer for a few minutes. Take off the heat and leave to cool.
- Take the garlic out of the oven and cutting one end, squeeze out the soft garlic into the pea soup.
- Puree in a food processor until smooth.
- Serve warmed, and with a good sprinkle of chopped coriander stirred in.